Blue and Gray Trail
Civil War Encyclopedia
Civil War in Georgia
On the Blue and Gray Trail
Civil War by state
Today in the Civil War
This year in the Civil War
Appomattox (or Appomattox Court House)
Civil War Encyclopedia >> Battles
Appomattox Court House
Once the county seat of Appomattox County, Virgina, Appomattox Court House lies a scant 2 miles northeast of present-day Appomattox, Virginia. The city drew its name from an Indian village discovered by Captain John Smith in some of the earliest inland exploration of the New World. The area was originally founded as Clover Hill, but by the time of the Civil War the town on the Lynchburg Road appeared on maps as Appomattox.
When the railroad came through the depot was located about 2 miles from the courthouse, known on Civil War era maps as Appomattox Station. In 1892 the old courthouse burned and a new one was built near the depot. The area known as Appomattox Court House lost its population and title of county seat to the nearby town of Appomattox Station, which now was simply called Appomattox.
Links appearing on this page:
Appomattox (or Appomattox Court House) was last changed on - November 10, 2007
Battles | Places | Events by year | Events by date | Feature Stories |
Bookstore | Links | Who We Are |